The School Newspaper of Media Academy

Online Green & Gold

Filed under News, Showcase

Fremont community mourns loss

A poster made by sophomore, Namonie Bullard, in honor of Redd’s remembrance.

Beloved Fremont student, Dwann “Redd” Taylor, passed away on Dec. 16, 2016 on the first day of winter break. The Fremont community mourns his loss.

On Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2017, the first morning back from winter break, the Fremont community supported each other and showed their love and respect for Redd by holding a moment of silence. The faculty and support staff from La Clinica also created a grieving space in the library for all his loved ones and close friends to come together to mourn, share stories, and discuss the loss of their loved one.

Danielle Patterson, Fremont’s front office manager who is known in the community as Ms. Dani, was close with Redd. “I considered him one of my Fremont children,” she said. “He was in my office about six times a day. Every passing period he would stop by to either check on me or to see if there was something he could do to help.’’

Patterson also made a Go-Fund-Me account for Redd’s family to pay for the funeral expenses. The Fremont community raised more than their goal of $5000. It was delivered to Redd’s family two days before the funeral.

Patterson had many stories to tell about Redd. Her favorite was the last she remembers with him. “It was on the Thursday and the Friday before we went on winter break,” Patterson said. “I looked at him and I said, ‘Redd, you have really nice hair but that afro is getting out of control. What are you gonna do with it?’ He was like, ‘Well I couldn’t find anyone to braid it unless you want to braid it for me.’’ So Patterson braided his hair on Thursday. He couldn’t find anyone with a comb so they had to use a pencil to part his hair.

“Then the very next day he came back with his hair unbraided,” Patterson said. “He had his curly fro and I said, ‘What in the world?’ He said, ‘Oh, Ms. Dani, can you braid my hair again for me?’’ She asked him what happened and he said that it got wet in the rain so he had to take it down and wash it. He asked her for two more braids. Patterson said, “’Fine, I’ll give you the two braids but you’re going to earn these two braids. You need to take out all of that recycling over there.”

Redd took out all the recycling, went to class and finished his work. At the end of the day, he came back to Patterson. She gave him his two braids. She said, “He turned and said, ‘I love you Ms. Dani and I said, ‘I love you, too, Redd. And that was my last story.”

The ninth and 12th-grade case manager Luis Serrano said that he remembers Redd being a good kid despite having his challenges. “Every time I interacted with Redd, it was positive. He always had respect for me,” Serrano said. He also said Redd would stick up for him when other students would cop an attitude when Serrano would tell them to go to class.

The last time Redd spoke to Serrano was the Friday before winter break on the day he passed away. Redd thanked him because of a conversation they had earlier in the day when Serrano asked him about his future and what he wanted out of his life. Serrano said, ¨It was [a] good conversation. It was a serious conversation and I can tell that he appreciated it.”

Students and staff miss Redd’s playful spirit, good energy, and his goofiness.

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

Career Expo provides diversity of opportunity for OUSD students

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

ECHO Supports Fremont Students by Awarding Them

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

Martin Reynolds comes to Fremont

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

The End Of The Obama Era

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

Their purpose is not to miss school, their message is not F Trump

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

So close to the end

• News

The Fremont Pipeline

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

The State of Ethnic Studies at Fremont

• Fremont community mourns loss

News

KMEL radio host Radio Reem visits Fremont

• News

Full schedule policy gets mixed reviews

The School Newspaper of Media Academy
Fremont community mourns loss