The School Newspaper of Media Academy

Online Green & Gold

Girls sports don’t get equal support

Dania Pugh, Senior reporter

Boys basketball receives more support than girls basketball. With the upcoming season of basketball quickly approaching, this is as true as ever.

The boys basketball team has newer and more equipment than the girls basketball team, such as newer uniforms. While these were paid for by fundraising, the girls team receives less support from the community which leads to unequal funding for the team.

Title IX increased female participation in sports in the United States in 1972. Title IX is a federal law that states, ¨No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.¨ Before it was in place, only seven percent of athletes were female. Female athletes should get treated and funded the same way as male athletes do because all athletes have the same goal—to play sports.

Male athletes have more funding for their uniforms than female athletes. The female athletes are using uniforms from two years ago, while the male athletes are only recycling last year’s uniforms. According to the Feminist Majority Foundation, from 1987 to 1999, the number of girls aged six and over playing basketball increased by fifteen percent, or up to thirteen million. With that being said, if more females are joining the sport, then more money should be invested in that group as well.

The School Newspaper of Media Academy
Girls sports don’t get equal support