The School Newspaper of Media Academy

Alumnus Achieves Dream

Nidya Baez returns as principal assistant

October 6, 2016

Nidya Baez, FHS ‘03 (right) speaking at a press conference about her experience as the new assistant principal of Fremont High School to the junior journalism students.

A Fremont High School alumnus never thought she would return to the school she once attended, but this fall, Nidya Baez is here to stay as one of two new Assistant Principals.

While attending Fremont from 1999 to 2003, Baez thought the teachers and administration weren’t supportive of the students. She dreamed of becoming a principal so she could do a better job. Upon graduation, she received a full-ride to UC Berkeley where she studied Latin American studies and Portuguese. She also studied abroad in Mexico and Brazil.

After Baez helped open and close a school, she had to choose between Fremont and Castlemont High School. “I’m going back home,” she said. She then served as a Community School Manager for five years.

Raised in a Spanish speaking household, she was only permitted to speak Spanish at home. When Baez was eight-years-old, her dad was driving an ice cream truck when he was shot three times. He went through 14 surgeries and her mom had to start working and taking care of her dad. Two weeks after she graduated from high school, her dad died from heart failure due to his condition. Baez was on her own. “I never went back home,” she said.

She and her family didn’t blame the teenager who shot him. They saw him at the McDonalds near Fremont but said nothing. “It’s easier to get a gun in this city than a diploma and that makes me angry,” Baez said.

Students take notes at a press conference with Fremont’s assistant principal, Nidya Baez, FHS ‘03 (center).

As an assistant principal she hopes to change that by helping more students on their way to graduation. She said she always looks forward to graduation and the honor roll, two times when students are rewarded for their hard work.

Baez understands where students are coming from and strives to make their life better by helping them in anyway she can. As a disciplinarian she always tries to listen to all sides of the story and believes everyone deserves a second chance.

“I truly believe you know what is right,” she said.
Fremont is like a second home to Baez. Her goal is to know every student by their name, strength, and dream.

Online Green & Gold • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in