Late breakfast trial is success; students eager for full program

Late breakfast trial is success;  students eager for full program

Second Chance Breakfasts were grabbed by the hundreds, but are now gone — at least temporarily.

More than half of Fremont High School students ate a special late breakfast during a two-week trial before Thanksgiving break, but the school is postponing a permanent “Second

Chance Breakfast” program until some problems can be solved.

It all comes back to not having enough time to scan student identification cards in a five-minute passing period between the first two classes of the day. National School Lunch Program rules require the school to serve only one breakfast per student each day if the breakfasts are free or reduced price.

“Second Chance Breakfast was a success,” said Vice Principal Emiliano Sanchez. “Ninety percent of the students were actually eating.”

In addition to the Second Chance Breakfasts, students also could get a hot breakfast in the cafeteria or a “grab and go” sack breakfast on the way to their first class.

The first day of the trial, 300 bags were filled with breakfast items and distributed from carts during passing period before second period, according to Cafeteria Manager Lawana Wyatt. On that first day, some students did not receive a breakfast because the cafeteria had not made enough. For the rest of the trial, 350 bags were made each day.

Students got used to the late breakfast. When they returned from Thanksgiving break, many were expecting breakfast after first period, but later found out that nothing was waiting for them.

“It was pretty good,” said junior William Varner, referring to the trial. “It gave students the chance to eat; they should continue to do it and actually keep it.”

After the trial, Principal Daniel Hurst acknowledged time is still a struggle,

“There is no final [decision] yet,” said Hurst shortly before winter break.

Cafeteria workers first tried to swipe the barcodes on student ID cards, but it did not work. They then used a hand-scanning machine, which worked. However, that system could take too /passing periods.

“With the hand scanner, it will slow it down; grabbing breakfast will take longer,” said Hurst.
Hurst said in December that he believed Second Chance Breakfast would start up again after the holiday break.