Teachers Walk-in for Funding

Bryan Mendoza
Ms. Delfino, a History teacher at Fremont High School, holds a poster stating, “Put your money where your mouth is!!!!” while participating in a demonstration about funding for public schools.

Green & Gold, Staff Reporters

A group of students and teachers stood in front of Fremont High School holding signs that read “Fund our schools, they’re our jewels” and “Pongan el dinero para las escuelas” as people in cars drove by honking their horns in support.

The teacher walk-in held Thursday morning before school at 8 a.m. was part of a city and nation-wide movement of educators who want more funding to serve the needs of students.

“We wanted to call attention to the funding our students deserve and to build unity with the community,” said Jasmene Miranda, director of the Media Academy.

Public elementary, middle, and high schools across the city participated in the demonstration to draw attention to the issue of funding within the Oakland Unified School District.

Some of the specific needs of students at Fremont are better food, smaller lunch lines, and more technology and teachers in the classroom.

“We really do care about our schools,” said Miranda. “All we’re asking the state and district is to give us the adequate amount of money that our students to deserve in order to give them an A-1 education.”

Teachers within the Oakland Education Association, a local teacher’s union, helped organize the walk-in today. The last time the teachers at Fremont held a walk-in was in late Feb. 2016 to protest ICE raids that were happening in the community.