The School Newspaper of Media Academy

Online Green & Gold

Filed under News, Showcase

The End Of The Obama Era

Adolfo Vaquez

Students rally in the courtyard before walking out on Jan. 20, 2017.

Donald J. Trump became the 45th president of the United States on Jan. 20th after gaining more electoral votes than his opponent Hillary Clinton even though Clinton had more popular votes than Trump.

Students voiced their opinions and walked out in protest on the day of the inauguration. The walkout was organized by the Power Dream student group and no other than Fremont student Reyna Jauregui, an 11th grader in the Architecture Academy.

The Fremont High School faculty council supported this by canceling the seventh period finals scheduled on Friday and moving them to the following Monday. Many students protested on the day of the inauguration.

“I feel very upset that America actually chose him to be the president,” Janet Chavez, a junior in the Media Academy at Fremont High School, said. “I don’t see why they would chose him.” She then added, “I want to protest to prove other people do have a voice. And I want to join them. I want to fight. I want to fight for what is right.”  

Some students strongly dislike Trump as the president, but they feel that because he’s the president they have to at least cooperate with him.

“F Donald Trump, but you know what, he is going to be our president, so we have to work it out with him somehow,” Ebelin Martinez, a senior in the Architecture Academy at Fremont High school, said.  “To be real, if he is impeached, [vice-president] Mike Pence is going to be president and he’s a lot smarter than Trump. If he were to be president, we’d be in a lot of trouble.”

Ebelin proceeded to say, “Ninety-nine percent of the school wasn’t able to vote. They’re under the age of 18, so they can’t [have a] voice in what they want and who they want as president even though it’s going to affect them in the future.”

A majority of the students who couldn’t vote in this year’s election said Clinton should have won the election. People don’t see Trump as a savior for this country. They say he doesn’t care about the people, just the money.

“I feel like Hillary should have won the election,” Mariah Velez, a senior in the Architecture Academy, said. “I don’t feel comfortable with Trump making all the decisions by himself.” She then explained why she wasn’t protesting the day of Trump’s inauguration, “I have to take another final. I didn’t get to take it. So I would go, but I have to do some school stuff first.”

Many students protested on the day of the inauguration, but many students simply left through the front gate and went home. Other students stayed at home because they knew that students were going to protest.

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

Drag Race Takes Place on Campus

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

Career Expo Provides Diversity of Opportunity for OUSD Students

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

ECHO Supports Fremont Students by Awarding Them

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

Martin Reynolds comes to Fremont

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

Fremont Community Mourns Loss

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

Their Purpose Is Not to Miss School, Their Message Is Not F Trump

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

So close to the end

• News

The Fremont Pipeline

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

The State of Ethnic Studies at Fremont

• The End Of The Obama Era

News

KMEL radio host Radio Reem visits Fremont

The School Newspaper of Media Academy
The End Of The Obama Era