Items remain on FHS ‘to do’ list

One year ago when we were introduced to Principal Daniel Hurst, we believed that he would remain the principal for many years to come. However, he recently announced to the staff that he would not be coming back to Fremont next year and a new principal would be hired.

The Green & Gold had high hopes for Hurst’s plan as the new principal for the 2012-2013 school year and the future of Fremont.

In a May 2012 editorial, we wrote what we wanted Hurst to prioritize.

We wanted him to tear down the rotting Media Academy portables, increase food choices in the cafeteria, promote more classes, expand internships, and — last but not least — listen to students.

Of course, we knew that our “to do” list was probably too big for just one year.

Even though the portables are still being used, Hurst supported the passage of Measure J. Fremont now is in line to receive a $100 million rebuilding and renovation. It looks like the portables will be coming down.

This school year many of us were frustrated that all of the AP courses were being taught in Architecture Academy. He has told teachers that next year there will be at least one AP class in either Mandela or Media. That’s a start, but the academies need to have an even number of AP classes for fairness.

Hurst assured that the freshmen were evenly disrupted into academies for next year. The new principal will need to make sure the classes in those three academies are also even.

He surprised us with some things we did not ask for — the Upstanders Lunch and Jupiter Grades. The lunches were a way to discourage fighting and bullying and to encourage student intervention and prevention with these problems. We hope the next principal will continue this program.

Jupiter Grades lets students keep up with their grades in a way they couldn’t before. We hope this also continues.
The new principal will need to do more than just these things.

We hope the new principal is strong supporter of all schools sports.

But we also need the new principal to promote other student involved activities, such as the debate team, which was number one in the Bay Area this year.

If the new principal shows interest in the debate team, it could encourage more student involvement. This in turn could improve achievement in the classroom, test scores and open up new scholarship opportunities.

Students look forward to a principal who is dedicated to listening to student voices and using them to shape the new school.

Hurst reported that there has been a 10 percent increase in enrollment from eighth graders.

If the new principal follows our recommendations, we believe that the enrollment at Fremont could climb even higher.