Online Green & Gold

Filed under Sports

Fremont boys basketball back on track after 10 forfeits

Advertisement

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Fremont’s boys basketball winning record plunged after the league took away all 10 of its victories, saying multiple players had been playing without having proper paperwork filed.

“It was bad, but we’re not going to let this affect us because our goal is to make it to the OAL championship and win it,” said forward Nicholas Seals, a senior.

Seals, along with sophomores Shawn Smith and Rayandre Adanandus, transferred to Fremont but the Oakland Athletic League ruled the transfer papers were not filed by the deadline.

The forfeits were upsetting to the Tiger coach as well.

”I’m disappointed because we work really hard for these wins, but our main goal is still to make it to the championship,” said Scot Alexander.

The Tigers bounced back after the forfeits and went on a three game winning streak against Skyline, Castlemont and Oakland High from Feb. 11 to Feb. 18. This brought the team’s record to 4-19. Without the forfeits, the record would be 13-10.

The players have mixed emotions about the situation. Some say they take this as motivation to keep playing harder and not let this affect them while playing during the season. Their main focus is to make it through the season as a team and work together.

”It’s been rough since we got all our games took,” said captain and point guard Malik Candler.

The Tigers’ next goal is to win the next two games against Tech and McClymonds.

And for some players, the season’s success rests on one thing and one thing only.

“If we don’t make it to the championship, I’m going to feel like this season was just a waste of time,” said Candler.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The School Newspaper of Media Academy
Fremont boys basketball back on track after 10 forfeits